Frequently Asked Questions
Where are you located?
We are located at 2225 Lansdowne St. W. on the outskirts of Peterborough, Ontario, in the Kawarthas. We are an hour northeast from Toronto, 2 ½ hours west of Ottawa. (Click here to view map.)
How can I get there if I don't have a car?
In most cases, we prefer that our clients not drive themselves. If you are unable to arrange your own transportation, we will assist you in doing so.
If you arrive by air, one of our staff will meet you at Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) or Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) and drive you to our Centre. After your stay, we will return you to the airport for your flight home.
What can I expect upon arrival?
You can expect to be greeted by a team of kind, caring personnel. CHRC staff know first-hand what you and your loved ones are going through, as everyone here has been touched by addiction personally or through a family member or close friend. Our program is built on respect, guidance, education, compassion, and evidence-based therapies and counselling.
On arrival you will be welcomed by an intake counsellor and administrative staff who will assist you with our admission process and help you get settled in. When you are ready, they will provide you with orientation and a tour of the facility.
How is Canadian Health Recovery Centre different than 12-step programs?
We are supportive of 12-step programs; however, we believe that without rebalancing the body chemistry to reduce or eliminate cravings, a person will continually struggle to maintain sobriety, increasing the risk of relapse. Biochemical rebalancing is only one component of recovery, but it is a vital component. Biochemical rebalancing, combined with effective talk therapies and a holistic treatment plan that includes support and education in diet, nutritional supplements, personal fitness and lifestyle choices, results in the rate of success for lifetime sobriety being drastically improved.
How long does the program take?
Due to the complexity of our program, our minimum stay is 35 days. Clinical research, along with our experience, demonstrates the benefits of longer stays, and we encourage 42-90 days in treatment. The length of stay is tailored to the needs of each individual. We also provide support after your stay with us, for as long as you need.
(Click here to read more on Length of Stay.)
Do you offer help with detoxing?
We screen all of our clients prior to scheduling intake so that we can assess their specific needs and provide safe and suitable detox options for each individual. Detox requirements, options and next steps will be discussed and an admission plan will be tailored to the client’s specific circumstances.
What should I bring with me during treatment?
We have compiled a list of items we recommend as well as items that are prohibited during your stay with us.
(Click here for list.)
Can you accommodate special diets?
Our chefs, together with our orthomolecular nutritionist, have created a specialized meal plan and it is an integral part of our program. Our unique orthomolecular nutritional program will greatly reduce the time needed for detox and assist in recovery on a deeper, biochemical level. Our ability to accommodate special diets will be limited, and should be discussed prior to arriving. We will make accommodations for diabetics and food allergies.
What about my medication?
All medication must be pre-approved by our Clinical Manager and packaged in blister packs by the pharmacy before arrival. Medication will be kept in a secure room in a locked safe with your other valuables, and will be accessible only under the supervision of clinical staff. Please bring enough of your prescribed medication to last for your stay at the Centre.
Can I use my cell phone?
Do I need spending money?
We recommend our guests bring a small amount of spending money for incidentals and activities away from our Centre. We have arranged for special pricing at our neighbouring golf club for those who wish to golf. We provide secure storage for all cash and valuables while at the Centre.
Can I have visitors?
Yes, we encourage visits from families or people in your circle of support; in fact, we strongly recommend them. The first week of treatment, however, is a time of retreat, so we don’t encourage visitors during this time. We offer family group programs, education and support every second weekend. We know that addiction affects the entire family and that family members need to heal, too. We help family members begin the healing process and become part of a healthy recovery plan.
Is this a faith-based program?
No, however we do offer spiritual guidance and counselling for those who want it. We welcome clients from all religious denominations and promote religious tolerance.
Why pay for treatment when there are government-funded facilities?
Private pay facilities have features that government-funded public facilities simply cannot afford to provide.
• There is no waiting. Private facilities do fill up, but in most cases can quickly accommodate you or will refer you when they cannot. Most government-funded facilities have long wait-lists of weeks or months and we know that when an individual decides they are ready for treatment, waiting can, in some cases, be the difference between life and death.
• We believe the environment in which you receive treatment plays a role in recovery. It should be soothing, comforting and healing in itself. We have taken great care in providing a resort-like atmosphere in a serene rural setting that promotes wellness and a desire to remain in treatment. A visit to the Centre will confirm that you won’t be in a hurry to leave. We welcome tours and invite you to arrange a personal visit to our facility by calling our toll-free number, 1-844-539-2225.
• We provide more individual counselling, a key component to lifelong sobriety. Public government-run rehab centres simply do not have the resources to provide this type of personalized care.
• We have a structured program of aftercare – and we are here for you for as long as you need us.
• We address addiction and support recovery physically, mentally and spiritually. Government-run public facilities do not have the resources to provide an orthomolecular program and specialized diet to address the physical aspects of addiction. Nor do they provide important integrative therapies such as yoga, meditation, acupuncture, pet therapy, fitness training, life skills and spiritual counselling.
If I leave treatment early is my payment refundable?
Full payment is required upon arrival and is non-refundable after the first week in treatment. A client who needs to leave treatment before his discharge date will have unused days banked for up to six months, allowing him to return to treatment within six months to complete his program.
Is there help with financing?
Yes. We work with Medicard Finance Inc., a third-party financing option.
(Click here for details.)
For more information on treatment cost and payment options, please call our Centre toll-free at 1-844-539-2225.